[mpich-discuss] mpiexec woes

Janzen Brewer janzen.brewer at gtri.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 20 08:13:34 CDT 2009

I'm implementing MPICH2 on a small GPU cluster. It will eventually be
integrated with Condor 7.2, but for now it's running by itself. The
cluster is set up such that the command:

$ mpdboot -n 10 --ifhn=192.168.1.100 --rsh=rsh

appears to start the daemon on all nodes. Running mpdtrace returns all
the nodes hostnames and 'mpdringtest 100' runs successfully. However,
when I try to run anything with mpiexec, the shell hangs indefinitely
and I have to kill it with mpdallexit from a separate shell. Here's the
particular command I've been using:

$ mpiexec -n 10 /bin/hostname

This command works when the daemon is only booted on the master node
(i.e. -n argument is 1 for both commands above). I've lurked around but
have been unable to find the solution.

Thanks!
Janzen