[mpich-discuss] Installation problems

Hiatt, Dave M dave.m.hiatt at citi.com
Wed Aug 19 17:36:43 CDT 2009

I had MPICH2 1.07 up and running between a set of test machines with no problems.  But thanks to local IT staff, one of my systems was trashed and had to be reimaged from ground 0.  I downloaded version 1.1 and installed it, but was having communication problems between the system on 1.07 and 1.1, so I decided to install 1.1 on the system that had not been touched.

I believe I actually installed it twice.  The first time seemed to go ok, but and mpiconfig would show green around the two hosts names for a short while, but then drop.  In all the checking and rechecking, I came to doubt I had installed the 1.1 on one of the systems and installed it again.  When the installation started the 2nd time, I asked if I wanted to repair or uninstall MPI, so I decided to start from scratch again, and said uninstall.  When that completed I started the install again, but now it always fails at the very end, with the message

"Three is a problem with this Windows Installer package.  A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.  Contact your support personnel or package vendor".  Of course all of this would happen three days before a major release and has brought my testing to a total halt.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I deleted everything and culled through the registry and deleted anything that had mpich on it, but to no avail.  Where should I look for a diagnostic on what the run that failed has a problem with?

Desperate in St. Louis

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil" - Donald Knuth
Dave Hiatt
Manager, Market Risk Systems Integration
CitiMortgage, Inc.
1000 Technology Dr.
Third Floor East, M.S. 55
O'Fallon, MO 63368-2240