[mpich-discuss] Wrong distribution of parallel processes (mpd machinefile)

Mário Costa mjscosta at lnec.pt
Wed Aug 19 09:34:10 CDT 2009

Hello,

I hope someone can help me with the following problem.

I'm using mpich2 ch3:nemesis device with mpd.

I use mpdboot to start the mpi ring to start the mpi job using the
following command:

mpdboot --remcons -n 2 -f machinefile

the machine file has

node001:4
node002:4

then I start the mpi job via mpiexec:

mpiexec -np 8 ./mpi_executable

Now the problem I'm having is that the node001 has 3 mpi processes and
the node002 has 5, but it was supposed to be distributed 4 per node,
as specified in the machinefile.

Does anyone has an idea on what the problem might be?

I'm using mpich2 version 1.0.8, I've used mpich2 version 1.0.5 and I
had no such problems ... I've also tested with 1.1.1 and had the same
problem ...

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Mário