[mpich-discuss] broadcast and reduce mechanism

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 12 09:00:52 CDT 2009

You can find some information in this paper: http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~thakur/papers/mpi-coll.pdf

However since that was written there have been a few changes, some
major and some minor.  One difference is that we now perform those
collective operations hierarchically on SMP systems (intranode,
internode, then intranode again).  Also, additional algorithms might
have been selected and the cutoff points are almost certainly
different.  So the best way to figure out what's going on in there is
to read the code.

As far as I know we don't use sequential communication to implement
any of our collective operations.

-Dave