[mpich-discuss] hydra and PBS

Bryan Putnam bfp at purdue.edu
Fri Aug 7 21:13:29 CDT 2009

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Pavan Balaji wrote:

> > Could you please also tell me if it's possible to set up a master/slave type
> > job using mpiexec.hydra. That is the equivalent of something like
> >
> > mpiexec -machinefile $PBS_NODEFILE -np 1 ./master : -np 3 ./slave
>
> This should work, except mpiexec takes the option "-f" instead of
> "-machinefile". I'll add in an alias to "-machinefile" to do the same thing in
> the next release; it might be useful.

Pavan, that didn't seems to work for me, I see

coates-a001 1010% mpiexec.hydra -f $PBS_NODEFILE -np 4 ./hellof
 node           2 : Hello world!
 node           3 : Hello world!
 node           0 : Hello world!
 node           1 : Hello world!

Above is OK, but below...

coates-a001 1011% mpiexec.hydra -f $PBS_NODEFILE -np 1 ./hellof : -np 3
./hellof
Fatal error in MPI_Init: Other MPI error, error stack:
MPIR_Init_thread(377): Initialization failed
(unknown)(): Other MPI error
Fatal error in MPI_Init: Other MPI error, error stack:
MPIR_Init_thread(377): Initialization failed
(unknown)(): Other MPI error
Fatal error in MPI_Init: Other MPI error, error stack:
MPIR_Init_thread(377): Initialization failed
(unknown)(): Other MPI error
Fatal error in MPI_Init: Other MPI error, error stack:
MPIR_Init_thread(377): Initialization failed
(unknown)(): Other MPI error
coates-a001 1012%