[mpich-discuss] gethostbyname_ex failed

Xuefeng Li li at loyno.edu
Tue Apr 7 15:59:55 CDT 2009

Greetings, everyone!

I am running Fedora 9 x86_64 on my PC. Recently, I was able
to install mpich2 with 'yum install mpich2' on it without
any error. However, when I issued 'mpdcheck', I got the
following is the error message.

       vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
*** gethostbyname_ex failed for this host a.b.c
*** gethostbyname_ex failed for host a.b.c
where a.b.c is the fully qualified hostname of the PC.
By issueing 'mpdcheck -l', I got the following.

       vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
     The system call gethostbyname(3) failed to resolve your
     fully qualified hostname, or $fqhn. This can be caused by
     missing info from your /etc/hosts file or your system not
     having correctly configured name resolvers, or by your IP
     address not existing in resolution services.
     If you run DNS, please check and make sure that your
     DNS server has the correct forward A record set up for yout
     machine's hostname. If you are not using DNS and are only using
     hosts files, please check that a line similar to the one below
     exists in your /etc/hosts file:
$ipaddr $fqhn
     If you intend to use DNS but you are not sure that it is
     correctly configured, please check that the file /etc/resolv.conf
     contains entries similar to the following:
nameserver 1.2.3.4
     where 1.2.3.4 is an actual IP of one of your nameservers.

My /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf are as suggested above. My
PC is working properly in terms of networking (firefox, ssh, sftp
all work fine). How could I resolve this problem? Could it be
related to firewall or selinux?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

--Xuefeng Li, (504)865-3340(phone)
   Like floating clouds, the heart rests easy
   Like flowing water, the spirit stays free
        http://www.loyno.edu/~li/home
   New Orleans, Louisiana (504)865-2051(fax)