[mpich-discuss] Cannot build mpich2-1.0.8p1 (nemesis) with PGI 8.0-4 on Linux x86_64

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Apr 1 10:06:09 CDT 2009

On Mar 31, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Gus Correa wrote:

> I decompressed the tarball on a fresh new subdirectory,
> configured again, ran make again.
> However, I still get the same exact error.
>
> Moreover, the preprocessor macro
> HAVE_GCC_AND_X86_64_ASM
> continues not to be defined in the
> src/include/mpichconf.h file,
> and most likely continues to be the source for the error.
>
> By contrast, configure.in is identical to my patched
> version (with the pgcc_atomics.patch file).
>
> I will send you the output of configure, config.log
> and src/include/mpichconf.h off list.
>
> And here is the "diff" between the configure script from your
> latest tarball
> and the configure script from the 1.2.8p1 after I patched it with
> pgcc_atomics.patch:
>
> [build_pgi-8.0-4]% diff ../configure /home/swinst/mpich2/1.0.8p1/
> mpich2-1.0.8p1/configure29449,29451c29449
>
> Did I do anything wrong?

No, I don't think that you did anything wrong.  There are just other
bugs wrt to PGI in our configure logic that I haven't spotted yet.

This would all go a lot easier if I had a modern PGI compiler
available for testing.  In the mean time, I would recommend just
editing the generated mpichconf.h after the configure step and before
the make step to define HAVE_GCC_AND_X86_64_ASM to 1.  That ought to
fix your immediate problem, although there may be others that will
appear once you are over this hurdle.

I'm not sure that there's much more I can do for you in the short-term
until I get my hands on a PGI compiler installation.  In the medium-
term I'll see if I can get this resolved for the 1.1.0 stable release
(likely some time in May).

Sorry,
-Dave