[mpich-discuss] FAQ about multicore clusters

Nicholas Yue yue.nicholas at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 07:58:01 CDT 2008

Hi,

    I wasn't able to search the various mailing list archives so I am
posting here in the hope that someone can point me to more documentation
or information.

    I have used MPICH on and off since version MPICH1 days.

    I have recently got hold of a dual quad core Xeon and have build the
multi-threaded version of MPICH2.

    In the coming months, I am involved in the deployment of a
renderfarm (i.e. Gigabit network, not Myrinet type of connectivity)
which I'd like to run some MPI feasibility tests.

    Is there some documentation or information about such hybrid i.e.
multi-core cluster, specifically, what configure options to use for
building the source? What would be the way to configure and run mpd?
e.g. ncpus, etc

    As a hypothetical case,  let's just say

    * 10 Gigabit  TCP/IP interconnect
    * Dual Quad Core Xeon per machine/1U