[mpich-discuss] mpich2-1.0.7 file mpif.h and fortran compiler g95

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Fri Oct 10 15:42:56 CDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 06:47:33PM +0200, cornelis.broeders at web.de wrote:
> Hello,
> I encountered the error message "SAVE statement at (1) follows
> blanket SAVE statement" during installation of the huge package
> mcnpx. After some efforts I found that this message is generally
> issued by g95 (and gfortran?)

gfortran is not g95.  The two compilers diverged years ago.
It is not wise to speculate about the quality of one compiler
based on the behavior of the other.

For the record, gfortran correctly issues a warning not an error.

      program z
      real a
      save        ! Blanket save statement.
      save a      ! a already has the save attribute.
      a = 1.
      print *, a
      end program z

troutmask:kargl[207] gfortran42 -o z z.f
a.f:4.10:

      save a
         1
Warning: SAVE statement at (1) follows blanket SAVE statement
a.f:2.12:

      real a, b, c
           1
Warning: Duplicate SAVE attribute specified at (1)

--
Steve