[mpich-discuss] importance of /tmp/mpd2.console_root?

Ralph Butler rbutler at mtsu.edu
Mon Oct 6 07:07:23 CDT 2008

On MonOct 6, at Mon Oct 6 12:17AM, Sangamesh B wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   In my case, the mpd was not running. mpdboot was giving problem
> with mpd2.console_root file on that particular node.
> Tried to delete it. But it couldn't.

mpd has no particular magic to prevent a user from deleting a file
which he/she owns.
If the file is owned by root, then root should be able to remove it,
perhaps by changing the permissions first.
There might be an exception to this, e.g. in the case of a file in an
nfs-mounted file system with some sort of
root-squash option turned on.  However, it is quite rare to have /tmp
mounted via nfs.
In any case, the problem of how to delete an old file is a unix
permissions issue.