[mpich-discuss] importance of /tmp/mpd2.console_root?

Rajeev Thakur thakur at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 3 21:46:30 CDT 2008

From: Ralph Butler
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 5:43 PM
Subject: Re: [mpich-discuss] importance of /tmp/mpd2.console_root?

A file in /tmp named mpd2.console_XXXX is a Unix socket.  It is used by
mpiexec (and other pgms) to connect to mpd.  Typically XXXX is the name of a
particular user who started the mpd and the socket can only be connected to
by that user.  However, if XXXX is root, and mpd was installed correctly,
then other users may connect to the socket and run jobs.  The socket should
be removed when the mpd exits gracefully, e.g. via mpdallexit.  However, it
may be left when an mpd fails.  But an old file should be removed when a new
mpd starts.