[mpich-discuss] Error with MPI_Comm_spawn on MPICH2

Shah, Mrunal J mrunal.shah at gatech.edu
Mon Nov 24 20:31:47 CST 2008

Hi All,

I am having issues with spawning processes using MPI_Comm_spawn.
Using a simple example for spawning processes:

 MPI_Comm_spawn("./workertest", MPI_ARGV_NULL, world_size, MPI_INFO_NULL, 0, MPI_COMM_WORLD, &everyone, MPI_ERRCODES_IGNORE);

The error I get is:
Fatal error in MPI_Comm_spawn: Internal MPI error!, error stack:
MPI_Comm_spawn(130)............: MPI_Comm_spawn(cmd="./workertest", argv=(nil), maxprocs=4, MPI_INFO_NULL, root=0, MPI_COMM_WORLD, intercomm=0x7fbffff6ac, errors=(nil)) failed
MPIDI_Comm_spawn_multiple(172).:
MPID_Open_port(65).............:
MPIDI_CH3_Get_business_card(99): Internal MPI error!universe_size 1

I believe this could be a machine specific error, since running the same code on another machine with a different implementation of MPI (OpenMPI) does not give any errors.
But I am not sure what I am missing here.

Thanks!
Mrunal