[mpich-discuss] Add an mpd to existing mpdring?

Darius Buntinas buntinas at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 19 09:24:53 CST 2008

The -h and -p parameters to mpd allow you to connect a new mpd to an
existing ring.  First use mpdtrace -l to show you the existing mpds
along with the hosts where they are running and the ports where each is
listening.  E.g., when you call mpdtrace from one of the hosts in the ring:

% mpdtrace -l
node01_58046 (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX)

This says there is one mpd in your ring on host "node01" listening on
port 58046.  Then on the host that you want to add to the ring start a
new mpd and tell it to connect to one of the mpds already in the ring:

% mpd -h node01 -p 58046 &

If you need, you can add the --ncpus=XX option to mpd.

Now mpdtrace should show that the new host has been added.

-d