[mpich-discuss] Build MPICH2-1.0.8 for Windows in VS 2005

Hiatt, Dave M dave.m.hiatt at citi.com
Fri Nov 14 15:39:06 CST 2008

I read the documentation and got the impression that it was possible to build MPICH2 using the mpichs.sln

I'm using VS2005, and Perl.  After running winconfigure.wsf with the --remove-fortran --cleancode options; I started VS and opened the solution.  21 projects loaded.

Of those a number built with no problem.  A significant group of others had errors, that in general always had to do with creating a proper path to a missing header file location.  In addition many of the projects had numerous warnings.  I mention this because I believe I read that the system should build error and warning free.  So I found this more than a little disconcerting and began to wonder if it was indeed supported to build directly from Windows.

But when building the project mpich2 I ran into a more significant problem.  Prior to this I had two cases of linking failing because paths to a required "lib" was not correct or added.  In each case I could do a search with Windows explored and find the needed lib.  However in this case, no lib named as required was found.  The case is, mpich2 project is looking for "sockd.lib".  This lib is not mentioned that I can find anywhere.  There is a "sockpd.lib" built, but not a sockd.lib.

Is anyone else building 2-1.0.8 directly in Visual Studio, and in particular VS2005?  If so, have you seen this issue as well as the warnings and other mapping problems in the projects, or have I simply missed something along the way.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

If you lived here you'd be home by now
Dave Hiatt
Manager, Market Risk Systems Integration
CitiMortgage, Inc.
1000 Technology Dr.
Third Floor East, M.S. 55
O'Fallon, MO 63368-2240