[mpich-discuss] so from a

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 4 13:25:49 CST 2008

On Nov 4, 2008, at 5:18 PM, Calin Iaru wrote:

> My question for today is - why is it that mpich2 does not build as
> an SO library? The answer could be as simple as - the apis change
> or are added from version to version - or it could be something
> more. Please let me know the reason and, if appliable, a path to
> building the dynamic library.

Please see the Installer's Guide section 2.5 (pg12): http://
www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/documentation/files/
mpich2-1.0.8-installguide.pdf

Let us know if you have trouble with the steps outlined there.

Please note that installing a shared library doesn't allow you to
upgrade the version of MPICH2 without recompiling your application.
Although in practice this may be possible because we rarely change
the mpi.h header between versions, that will not always be the case.

-Dave