[mpich-discuss] Are there limits to MPICH2 Jobs?

Cavey, Lester Lester.Cavey at ATK.COM
Sat May 3 15:33:17 CDT 2008

Ibrahim,

I'm not an expert on this, but we used the ulimit command, in our bash rc files, to increase our stack size limit.  Then our 32-bit linux system was able iterate through more loops while running our application (a particle-in-cell simulator).  Eventually though there was a limit to the number of loops that ran, before a "segmentation fault" was reported.  In our case, this meant we had a stack overflow, since there is always going to be a maximum stack size that can not be exceeded.

I'm sure the ANL guys can give you more advice, besides just trying the ulimit command.

Lester

________________________________

From: owner-mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov [mailto:owner-mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov] On Behalf Of Attieh, Ibrahim
Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2008 12:03 PM
To: mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov
Subject: [mpich-discuss] Are there limits to MPICH2 Jobs?

Hello,

We are trying to run the Monte Carlo code MCNP with MPICH2.  However, we are having problems with jobs bigger than 2 gigabytes. The jobs we want to run are as big as 9 gigabytes.  We are running the jobs on a linux system with 64-bit operating system.

Are there any limits to the size of the files that MPICH2 could handle?  Are there any options that we need to set for MPICH2 to handle such large jobs?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ibrahim Attieh

CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED INFORMATION NOTICE

This e-mail, and any attachments, may contain information that
is confidential, subject to copyright, or exempt from disclosure.
Any unauthorized review, disclosure, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of or reliance on this information
may be unlawful and is strictly prohibited.

AVIS D'INFORMATION CONFIDENTIELLE ET PRIVILÉGIÉE

Le présent courriel, et toute pièce jointe, peut contenir de
l'information qui est confidentielle, régie par les droits
d'auteur, ou interdite de divulgation. Tout examen,
divulgation, retransmission, diffusion ou autres utilisations
non autorisées de l'information ou dépendance non autorisée
envers celle-ci peut être illégale et est strictement interdite.