[mpich-discuss] Scalability of Intel quad core (Harpertown) cluster

Scott Atchley atchley at myri.com
Mon Mar 31 08:19:08 CDT 2008

On Mar 28, 2008, at 1:50 AM, Hee Il Kim wrote:

> - If the gigabit network was the cause, could it be improved with
> Open-MX?

Hi Kim,

Depending on your Ethernet switch, Open-MX should be able to lower
your latency and reduce your CPU usage. I see about 10.5 us
internally using the e1000 driver with interrupt coalescing turned
off, others report that they have seen as low as 6.5 us (I do not
know what NICs they used or if it the machines were switched or back-
to-back).

To use Open-MX, your switch must support flow control for send and
receive (some don't) and jumbo frames. If you need interoperability
with native MX over Ethernet (some hosts with Myri-10G NICs connected
to an Ethernet switch, some hosts with non-Myricom NICs), then your
switch must handle at least 4 KB frames. If you do not need
interoperability, then you can use 8 or 9 KB frames and possibly see
slightly better performance (fewer interrupts).

Brice released version 0.4.0 which has working interoperability with
native MX and is nearly feature complete. See http://www.open-mx.org
for the status and source code.

Scott