[mpich-discuss] Scalability of Intel quad core (Harpertown) cluster

Elvedin Trnjanin trnja001 at umn.edu
Fri Mar 28 01:39:37 CDT 2008

Hello,

I've done plenty of testing on this and I suspect the problem is not
only your network but mainly the message sizes. When your messages sizes
are around 64KB or greater, your are starting to maximize total
bandwidth but if your messages are smaller, bandwidth is drastically
less. Bandwidth will show an exponential growth until about a 1MB
message since you hit various limits. More details on the message sizes
and (approximate) frequency of message transfers would be useful.

Infiniband, while a very good product, it's expensive and you should get
it if your current message passing latency is longer than your compute
latency thus hindering overall performance. If you don't need more than
60 MB/s bandwidth or less than 5 milliseconds latency for large
messages, then the gigabit network would be sufficient. With 10 nodes
and 8 cores per node (80 processes?), I'm not so sure though.