Fw: [mpich-discuss] exit code -1073741819

Tadeusz J Liszka tad at tx.altair.com
Tue Mar 25 12:30:40 CDT 2008

Hi,

I do not agree with your suggestion: "since you can set the different
options in the compiler to achieve your need". It is not always possible
to change compiler options (because of various libraries already used in
the project), so we need to be able to compile mpich in the proper way.
But I can see that most, if not all, what is needed for this, is already
present in the source.

I could not find proper bindings for MPI_SEND - maybe I was not looking
in the proper places:

As MPI_SEND uses void* for the first argument, it requires (for some
compilers, at least on Windows) two alternate bindings. One of them
should have 7 arguments - to handle all calls where the void argument is
integer or real array - and the second one with 8 arguments, to handle
hidden argument (==string length). When this argument is at the end, the
problem is (almost) trivial, but it is quite difficult to handle when
the compiler insists on appending this hidden argument immediately after
the string pointer. In STDCALL Windows binding, the name mangling
(mpi_send at 28/mpi_send at 32) resolves the issue, in CDECL binding the
problem is much more tricky to resolve. Fortunately we need STDCALL mode.

Thus we need
extern FORT_DLL_SPEC void FORT_CALL MPI_SEND( void*, MPI_Fint *,
MPI_Fint *, MPI_Fint *, MPI_Fint *, MPI_Fint *, MPI_Fint * );
as well as
extern FORT_DLL_SPEC void FORT_CALL MPI_SEND( char*
FORT_MIXED_LEN(str_len), MPI_Fint *, MPI_Fint *, MPI_Fint *, MPI_Fint *,
MPI_Fint *, MPI_Fint * FORT_END_LEN_DECL );

I do not say that this is not present in the source - just that in the
time I spent on it I could not locate it,  and I found plenty other
places where these dummy arguments are present. Moreover I am sure that
I missed something, because apparently the MPI_SEND at 32 entry is present
in the library, and I did not locate exact place where it comes from.

Assuming that the second binding is present somewhere in the source, it
is my understanding that all we need to do is clean recompile code with
proper option set for USE_FORT_MIXED_STR_LEN, and no code changes in
mpich source are required.

regards

Tadeusz

--
  ##   #   #####  ##   ###  ###     Tadeusz J. Liszka, Ph.D.
 #  #  #     #   #  #   #   #  #     Altair Engineering Inc.