[mpich-discuss] mpiexec return value

Eugenio Chiavaccini Eugenio.Chiavaccini at cst.com
Wed Jun 11 09:50:46 CDT 2008

Hallo!!!

 I´m running mpiexec on a Windows system and getting the return value of the command line.

For instance

mpiexec -noprompt foo.exe

where foo.exe is just a "non existing" executable.

On console I´m getting the message

launch failed: CreateProcess(pii) on 'myhost' failed, error 2 - The system cannot find the file specified.

and this is, of course, fine.

But at the same time, getting the exiting value of the command with

echo %ERRORLEVEL%

returns to me the 0 value, which is considered as correct returning value!!!

I would have expected some different return values or way to intercept this situation.

Checking into the code

smpd_state_machine.c, Line 1712

shows that the returning value of SMPD_ABORT

is, in a sense, reset by the calls smpd_post_read_command() and smpd_post_abort_command(),

else if (result == SMPD_ABORT)
    {
        result = smpd_post_read_command(context);
        if (result != SMPD_SUCCESS)
        {
            smpd_err_printf("unable to post a read for the next command on %s context.\n", smpd_get_context_str(context));
            smpd_exit_fn(FCNAME);
            return SMPD_FAIL;
        }
        result = smpd_post_abort_command("");
        if (result != SMPD_SUCCESS)
        {
            smpd_err_printf("unable to post an abort command.\n");
            smpd_exit_fn(FCNAME);
            return SMPD_FAIL;
        }
    }
    else
    {
    }
    smpd_exit_fn(FCNAME);
    return SMPD_SUCCESS;
}

Is there anything I´m maybe missing??? Should this be considered as a bug?
Thanks a lot and
Best Regards,

Eugenio