[mpich-discuss] mpiexec return value

eugenio chiavaccini echiavaccini at hotmail.it
Tue Jun 10 08:17:28 CDT 2008

Hallo!!!

I´m running mpiexec on a Windows system and getting the return value of the command line.

For instance

mpiexec –noprompt foo.exe

where foo.exe is just a “non existing” executable.
On console I´m getting the message

launch failed: CreateProcess(pii) on 'myhost' failed, error 2 - The system cannot find the file specified.

and this is, of course, fine.
But at the same time, getting the exiting value of the command with

echo %ERRORLEVEL%

returns to me the 0 value, which is considered as correct returning value!!!
I would have expected some different return values or way to intercept this situation.

Checking into the code
smpd_state_machine.c, Line 1712

shows that the returning value of SMPD_ABORT
is, in a sense, reset by the calls smpd_post_read_command() and smpd_post_abort_command(),

 else if (result == SMPD_ABORT)    {        result = smpd_post_read_command(context);        if (result != SMPD_SUCCESS)        {            smpd_err_printf("unable to post a read for the next command on %s context.\n", smpd_get_context_str(context));            smpd_exit_fn(FCNAME);            return SMPD_FAIL;        }        result = smpd_post_abort_command("");        if (result != SMPD_SUCCESS)        {            smpd_err_printf("unable to post an abort command.\n");            smpd_exit_fn(FCNAME);            return SMPD_FAIL;        }    }    else    {        …    }    smpd_exit_fn(FCNAME);    return SMPD_SUCCESS;} Is there anything I´m maybe missing??? Should this be considered as a bug? Thanks a lot and Best Regards,  Eugenio