[mpich-discuss] How does the fortran binding work?

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 31 10:56:00 CDT 2008

 Hi,
  Visual Studio C compiler does not support weak symbols (So you don't
have to worry about the weak symbols stuff). mpich2.dll (or variants)
export both MPI_* and PMPI_* symbols to the user of the Dll (see
mpich2.def). This is required (see the standard on the profiling
interface) to support third-party profiling interface to MPI (which is
what you probably need :) ).
  The windows binding dll (mpich2mpi.dll) allows one to load a channel or
profile MPI at run time. Although this is the current design we will soon
be migrating to the current design in unix to support dynamically loadable
channels (Only the channel is loaded dynamically).
  If you are trying to instrument MPI calls as defined in the MPI
standard, define a profiling interface with the required MPI_* interfaces,
do the required profiling there and call the PMPI_* interface (in
mpi.lib). To provide a profiling interface for fortran MPI programs
provide an interface to the fortran binding interfaces (app calls
MPI_SEND, define MPI_SEND in profiling lib - do the profiling, call
PMPI_SEND in fortran binding interface (fmpich2.lib), which will call
PMPI_Send() - translated to MPI_Send() in mpich2.dll to do the real
work.).
(PS: Note that this is different from the way it works in unix systems.)
 Let us know if you need any further info.

Regards,
Jayesh