[mpich-discuss] processor/memory affinity on quad core systems

chong tan chong_guan_tan at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 11:14:17 CDT 2008

It could be the same.  The OS actually could make them not the same. The membind will behave the same.  Just that the OS has the freedom to move the processes among the cores in a physical CPU, resulting in context switching.

Please spend sometime to do a small experiment on this.  You will learn the 'behavior' of your HW and OS better.  Try it on a few different HW, and you will be amused.

tan