[mpich-discuss] Why is my quad core slower than cluster

Elvedin Trnjanin trnja001 at umn.edu
Thu Jul 10 10:57:06 CDT 2008

http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/Wiki/Linux/719.htm

Is that the issue?

"background

linux gcc carries on the Unix tradition from the early days of C, when
the run-time libraries weren't considered as part of the compiler.
Thus, there is little coordination between compiler and library
versions.  A normal compiler update will not update library functions
such as memcpy().

New compiler installations, for example those from Intel, inherit most
of the run-time support from what is provided (at least optional) in the
linux installation.  This contrasts with the situation on Windows, where
Intel compilers require a Microsoft compiler installation to provide the
libraries, while gcc requires a companion run-time support such as
cygwin or mingw.

Much of the OS support as well as C run-time support on linux is
incorporated in the glibc library.  Although this is a Free Software
Foundation project, and the bug report data base 'glibc bugzilla' is
open to public inspection, the developer communications don't appear on
a public list.  There is no visible public help forum or mail list.  It
is not generally feasible to update glibc except as supported by the
linux distribution.

Intel compilers modify the situation; for example, they pre-empt a few
of the standard C functions, including memcpy().  As combined gcc/icc
usage is supported, this leads to confusion about which run-time version
is in effect."