[mpich-discuss] Suggestions solicited

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 4 11:34:13 CST 2008

Hi,
 What you need is the server to do a MPI_Comm_accept() to accept
connection from volatile clients. MPI_Comm_accept() creates a new
communicator which can be used for communicating with the client. This
communicator can be disconnected without doing a MPI_Finalize().
 A simple example (serial server) of this type of scenario is given below,

#################### server ###################

#include "mpi.h"
#include <stdio.h>

#define NUM_CLIENTS 10
int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
    int i;
    char portName[MPI_MAX_PORT_NAME];
    MPI_Init(&argc, &argv);
    MPI_Open_port(MPI_INFO_NULL, portName);
    printf("portName = %s\n", portName);
    for(i = 0; i < NUM_CLIENTS; i++){
        MPI_Comm newcomm;
        MPI_Comm_accept(portName, MPI_INFO_NULL, 0, MPI_COMM_WORLD,
&newcomm);
        printf("Accepted a connection\n");
        MPI_Comm_disconnect(&newcomm);
    }
    MPI_Close_port(portName);
    MPI_Finalize();
}

#################### server ###################
#################### client ###################

#include "mpi.h"
#include <stdio.h>

#define NUM_CLIENTS 10
int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
    char portName[MPI_MAX_PORT_NAME];
    MPI_Comm newcomm;

    MPI_Init(&argc, &argv);
    printf("portname : ");
    gets(portName);
    MPI_Comm_connect(portName, MPI_INFO_NULL, 0, MPI_COMM_WORLD,
&newcomm);
    printf("Connected to %s\n", portName);
    MPI_Comm_disconnect(&newcomm);
    MPI_Finalize();
}

 You can do more sophisticated stuff by writing the port to a file etc
(Unfortunately publishing and lookingup names won't work with smpd for
now).
 As long as you use SMPD as the process manager (default on windows &
configure with "--with-pm=smpd" on unix) & make sure that all the machines
have the same data model (eg: same architecture) you should be fine.

Regards,
Jayesh