[mpich-discuss] MPICH single CPU jobs=> can't find JAVA?

t.peter.Mueller at gmx.net t.peter.Mueller at gmx.net
Wed Apr 23 09:16:57 CDT 2008

Hi,

I'm new to MPICH, sorry in advance if this is a trivial question, I didn't find any answer in Google, ...

- So here is my setup:
I have as a user access (no admin rights :-( ) to a local cluster. In general there are always several nodes empty which no one uses.
Letting the unused nodes idle around would be a waste of resources, so I taught why not use them for my calculations ;-) .
The code I use does not parallize well, but I have to apply my code for several different independent problem sets.
The cluster uses a scheduler. The minimum amount of nodes are 8. I wrote a small parallel c++ program (I compiled it with MPICH) which executes 8 different bash scripts.
In each bash script I start my Java code with the corresponding problem set.
I installed the Java run time environment in my home folder, on the cluster node I have access to the executable in my home folder.
The setup works in general, I can submit my tiny c++ program to the scheduler of the cluster, it is executed properly. The bash scripts are executed on the cluster nodes. From the bash script I can start programmes from my home folder.

- My problem:
>From the bash script I can't execute JAVA code :-( .
I get the following error:
	mpiexec: resolve_exe: using absolute path "/home/user9/monteCarloSim/mcTest3.out".
        /home/user9/bin/bashScript1.sh: line 8: /home/user9/opt/jre/bin/java: No such file or directory

For testing I tried just a "java -version" this also cased the above error. But on the cluster nodes the "java" in my home folder is visible.
If I execute "ls -lah ~/opt/jre/bin >>~/output.txt" in my bash script the java executable is visible.

- I already tested:
The bash script are executed from the cluster job scheduler with my user-id.
I have read, write and execute permissions for the Java installation in my home folder.

I have no clue where the problem could lie?

Any hints are welcome.

Thanks
P. Mueller