[mpich-discuss] multi threading

David R Anderson DANDERS3 at gdeb.com
Fri Apr 18 11:20:30 CDT 2008

Ahh, thanks for that explanation.

Dave
David R. Anderson
Principal Engineer
D412, Radiation Analysis Section
Phone: (860)433-6584, FAX (860)433-3229
E-mail: danders3 at gdeb.com

Darius Buntinas <buntinas at mcs.anl.gov>
Sent by: owner-mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov
04/18/2008 12:05 PM
Please respond to
mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov

cc

Subject
Re: [mpich-discuss] multi threading

By default, thread support is enabled at runtime, so unless you're
debugging the MPICH2 library, you shouldn't use the
--enable-threads=multiple option.  With runtime thread support, thread
support is enabled only if the application calls MPI_Init_thread.  By
enabling thread support only when needed you'll avoid the additional
overhead associated with providing thread safety in single threaded
processes.

-d