[mpich-discuss] multi threading

David R Anderson DANDERS3 at gdeb.com
Fri Apr 18 09:10:27 CDT 2008

I have mpich2 (1.0.6) installed on a Dell poweredge compute server with
Red Hat Linux installed.  The server is new and has 4-quad core
processors.  I have compiled mpich2 using the --enable-threads=multiple
option for configure.   After compiling mpi versions of several programs I
find that I get good speedup results up to 8 processors, however, no
benefit from 9-16.  There is a small drop in performance from 8-9 and then
by 16 processors has caught back up to the same speedup value as with 8.

Is there something else I need in the config options, or is dual threading
the best that I can get?  I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
David R. Anderson
Principal Engineer