[mpich-discuss] cross compiling with mpich2-1.0.7rc2

Bailey, Eric ebailey at mc.com
Wed Apr 9 09:49:59 CDT 2008

I have an embedded PPC 7448 target, running Linux, I would like to run
MPICH2 on that uses a cross compiler.  From what I could gather, by
specifying the --host option with configure, this should work.  However,
the config.log produced indicated it finds the cross compiler and it
seems to check out initially ok.. but then it checks if this is a cross
compiler and exits before generating any Make files.

First, should / will MPICH2 support cross compilers?
2nd, Has anyone tried this and had success? If yes, perhaps someone can
share the information on what needs to be done to add a host that is
different then the build machine.

This is the configure line used.

/home/MPI/libraries/mpich2-1.0.7rc2/configure
--prefix=/tmp/MPI/mpich2-1.0.7rc2-install-7448 --host=ppc74xx-linux
--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu

here is the output error message

configure:11000: checking for GNU g++ version
configure:11004: error: cannot run test program while cross compiling
See `config.log' for more details.

and here is the actual configure source lines that result in exiting, it
does not look from this code that MPICH supports cross compiling.

echo $ECHO_N "checking for GNU g++ version... $ECHO_C" >&6
         if test "$cross_compiling" = yes; then
  { { echo "$as_me:$LINENO: error: cannot run test program while cross
compiling
See \`config.log' for more details." >&5
echo "$as_me: error: cannot run test program while cross compiling
See \`config.log' for more details." >&2;}
   { (exit 1); exit 1; }; }

thanks,
Eric Bailey