FW: [mpich-discuss] mpdtrace cannot connect (cygwin & mpd), previous smpd remnants?

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 1 10:13:29 CDT 2008

Ralph,

 Do you know what the problem might be? This user is using Cygwin to compile
MPICH2(with mpd) on windows.
 He is able to run mpdcheck (mpdcheck -s, mpdcheck -c compname portno) and
get outputs as mentioned in the install guide. However he is not able to run
mpiexec or mpdtrace on his machine.

---
mpd &
[1] 2668

ps
      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
     2896       1    2896       2896  con 1008 18:03:07 /usr/bin/bash
     2668    2896    2668       3772  con 1008 18:04:28 /usr/bin/python2.5
     3256    2896    3256       3276  con 1008 19:03:38 /usr/bin/sh

ls -l /tmp
total 2048
-rw-r--r-- 1 username None 2111 Mar 28 19:01 XWin.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 username None   53 Mar 28 18:02 mpd2.console_username

mpdtrace
mpdtrace: cannot connect to local mpd (/tmp/mpd2.console_username); possible
causes:
  1. no mpd is running on this host
  2. an mpd is running but was started without a "console" (-n option) In
case 1, you can start an mpd on this host with:
    mpd &
and you will be able to run jobs just on this host.
For more details on starting mpds on a set of hosts, see the MPICH2
Installation Guide.
---

Regards,
Jayesh