[MPICH] MPICH2 user credential issue on windows

Richard Li xs_li at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 27 20:49:47 CDT 2007

The following is our MPICH2 env settings: The MPICH2 package is installed on machines need to run our MPI app and the user account who installs the package has
local admin permission since smpd service needs to be started at those machines. We also create a service account(no local admin permission) so that everyone who
 wants to run MPI App can use mpiexec -register to register user credential.

The service account works fine on everyone's machine except one. The problem with that machine(it does not always happen) is that whenever it happens, it fails to start
our MPI app because of user credential issue. The error message is that:

    Credentials for nbkshi8a rejected connected to machineName.

I check smpd service by smpd -status on this machine whenever this happens and it seems to be running fine. Sometimes rebooting machine will bring everything back to normal.

Questions:

a) Is there any way to further check why this particular machine has problem from time to time?
b) We notice that, when using a service account(other than the account which starts smpd) to start mpi app, another smpd instance will be started on all machines on behave of this
service account and will be gone afetr MPI run ends. Is this normal?
c) The way to run our MPI app is our own app will spawn a new process to launch mpi job and sometimes it's handy if we can redirect the error message from mpiexec to somewhere.
    Is there a way to redirect error message from mpiexec to a log file?

Thanks

Richard