[MPICH] How do I dump a core under MPICH-2?

Jean-Marc Saffroy saffroy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 10:51:27 CDT 2007

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Robert Latham wrote:

> You may be enabling core dumps on one process but not all of them?
> Also there might be a difference between the environment given to an
> interactive shell, a login shell,  and that of a non-interactive shell.
>
> What does 'ulimit -a' show you?  You might have to stick a 'ulimit -c
> unlimited' in your .zshenv or .bashrc

The MPI launcher may or may not propagate user limits from the current
shell to the parallel job, and for example mpd/mpiexec does not:

$ ulimit -c
0

$ mpd&

$ ulimit -c unlimited

$ mpiexec -n 1 sh -c 'ulimit -c'
0

But in this case, it's easy to circumvent:

$ mpiexec -n 1 sh -c 'ulimit -c unlimited; sleep 1 & kill -11 %%'

$ file core.5412
core.5412: ELF 64-bit LSB core file AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV),
SVR4-style, from 'sleep'

saffroy at gmail.com