[MPICH] Serial read-in of MPI-2 I/O

Jean-Marc Saffroy saffroy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 16:43:51 CDT 2007

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Peter Diamessis wrote:

> I've attached the actual F90 source code for the output. As you can see,
> the four 3-D arrays containing the primitive variables are outputted,
> followed by some secondary information on domain size & grid-spacing.

I think you forgot the attachment, or maybe it was removed by the mailing
list robot.

> The "Using MPI-2" book says that files created by 'native'
> representation are not portable. However, I'm assuming that Linux works
> with Little Endian and thus this MPI-2 generated data can be read
> serially on another Linux machine ?

Linux works with whatever endian is used by your processor. Some processor
architectures can use only one of little endian (eg. x86, x64, Alpha) or
big endian (SPARC, POWER); some can use both (IA64), and Linux uses only
one endianness (Linux on IA64 is little endian).

Note that the format of your data can depend on the processor endianness,
but also on the native word size (ie. 32 or 64 bits), and of course on
your MPI implementation.

Maybe you should mention which MPI and processor you are using to produce
and to read data, then maybe someone (not me) will be able to state if you
can read it as 'native'; if not, the following page could tell you how
your application should write its data so another app. can read it:

http://www.mhpcc.edu/training/workshop2/mpi_io/std/node198.html

saffroy at gmail.com