[MPICH] An idle communication process use the same CPU as computation process on multi-core chips

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Sep 14 05:38:13 CDT 2007

Hi,

Am 14.09.2007 um 00:41 schrieb Yusong Wang:

> I have a program which is implemented with a master/slave model and
> the
> master just do very little computation. In my test, the master spent
> most of its time to wait other process to finish MPI_Gather
> communication (confirmed with jumpshot/MPE). In several tests on
> different multi-core chips (dual-core, quad-core, 8-core), I found the
> master use the same amount of CPU as the slaves, which should do
> all the
> computation.

what do you mean in detail - you have let's say the master process
running and 4 slaves and see a CPU usage of 500% on a machine with 8
cores?

Having his programming style, you need a special configured
machinefile if you use a queuing system, as otherwise one idling slot
will be wasted for the master process.

-- Reuti