[MPICH] MPI_Bcast hangs in Windows XP

Richard Li xs_li at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 7 21:00:19 CDT 2007

Jayesh,

Thanks a lot for your info.

After a lot of trys, I was finally able to run cpi.exe across multiple hosts. It seems to have something to with the setting in my machine file. The following is the detail.

I use the following command to run cpi.exe:

mpiexec -n 2 -machinefile config.txt -channel ssm(or others) cpi.exe

a) If I have a config.txt file like the following:
    host1name:1 -ifhn host1_ipaddress
    host2name:2 -ifhn host2_ipaddress
   Everything works fine(for all channels).
b) If I have a config.txt like the following:
   host1name:1
   host2:name:2
 then, for sock channel, it hangs mpi_bcast. For auto and ssm, I got the following error message:

C:\public\bin>mpiexec -n 2 -machinefile
Config.txt -channel ssm  or auto
C:\public\bin\cpi.exe
Enter the number of intervals: (0 quits)
100

job aborted:
rank: node: exit code[: error
message]
0: B0016350B383E: 1: Fatal error in MPI_Bcast: Other MPI error,
error stack:
MPI_Bcast(784).................: MPI_Bcast(buf=0012FE88,
count=1, MPI_INT, root=0, MPI_COMM_WORLD)
fai
led
MPIR_Bcast(230)................:
MPIC_Send(36)..................:
MPIDI_EagerContigSend(146).....:
failure occurred while attempting to send an eager
message
MPIDI_CH3_iStartMsgv(224)......:
MPIDI_CH3I_VC_post_connect(555):
[ch3:sock] rank 0 unable to connect to rank 1 using business card
<po
rt=3872 description=B001279FD7C60.corp.bankofamerica.com
ifname=171.188.32.154 shm_host=B001279FD7C60.
corp.bankofamerica.com
shm_queue=39E4F281-FCC0-4f4a-B540-EDC8D517F065 shm_pid=2484

MPIDU_Sock_post_connect(1228)..: unable to connect to
B001279FD7C60.corp.bankofamerica.com on port 387
2, exhausted all endpoints
(errno -1)
MPIDU_Sock_post_connect(1244)..: gethostbyname failed, The
requested name is valid and was found in th
e database, but it does not have
the correct associated data being resolved for. (errno 11004)
1:
B001279FD7C60: 1
I know this has something to do with my network setting, but just can't figure out why.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Richard

From: jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
To: xs_li at hotmail.com
CC: mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov
Subject: RE: [MPICH] MPI_Bcast hangs in Windows XP
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 09:25:36 -0500

Hi,
 The process manager (smpd) is responsible for
launching the MPI processes on the various machines and providing an MPI
processes information on how to communicate with other MPI
processes.
 The SMPD process manager listens (default
case) on port 8676 and then asks the client PM to connect to a new port. So
you should allow SMPD process manager (smpd.exe --- installed as a service in
windows) to communicate at all ports (This is the easiest way. However you can
also restrict the port range used by SMPD. Refer to the windows devloper's guide
available at http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich/ for
details.)
 Make
sure that no firewall (1. Running on the individual machines   2. OR
on the network, filtering the traffic btw the machines) is preventing the
process managers & the MPI procs on the individual machines from
contacting each other.

(Note: Since
you do not know what changed in your network, it might help if you try analyzing
the network packets sent btw the machines using a packet sniffer like
Ethereal.)

Regards,
Jayesh