[MPICH] Can I ask MPI to not copy the data to shared-mem ?

chong tan chong_guan_tan at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 23:46:22 CDT 2007

Agree.  As of this moment, I am looking for some way to squeeze the last drop of perofrmance for my application.  I do not use Isend or Irecv, and that actually slow down my application in some situation.

  tan

Jean-Marc Saffroy <saffroy at gmail.com> wrote:
  On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, chong tan wrote:

> having both sender and reciever being the same shared memory may
> require Barriers to be placed to block writing to the mem before it is
> completed consumed. That may actually slow done the run.

MPI_Isend could still benefit from this approach, eg:
- process A does Isend (or Irecv), which simply marks the message to be
sent (or received), then continues with useful computation
- then process B does Irecv (or Isend), which detects the mark and does
the actual (and single) message copy, then marks the message as sent
- then processes A and B eventually do a Wait or Test

It will probably depend on how much the application allows communications
to overlap with computation (but if it uses Isend/Irecv then it probably
cares already?).

saffroy at gmail.com