[MPICH] Can I ask MPI to not copy the data to shared-mem ?

Darius Buntinas buntinas at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 8 13:14:22 CDT 2007

Well, you specify one buffer in the call to MPI_Send and another buffer
in MPI_Recv, so there would have to be at least one copy.  You can't do
it without any copies (otherwise, how would the data get from the send
buffer to the receive buffer?).

MPICH2 does support communication over shared memory (as opposed to over
a network) which improves performance for intranode communication.
Configure with --with-device=ch3:ssm or --with-device=ch3:nemesis.

Darius