[MPICH] Simple MPI program crashes randomly

Christian Zemlin zemlinc at upstate.edu
Mon May 28 05:24:19 CDT 2007

The attached program ran literally thousands of times on our old cluster, which has MPICH1 libraries, without any problems.
It is simple in terms of MPI (just the minimum MPI setup + a few Send and Recv commands), although it is fairly long because it implements a complicated model of cardiac tissue.

On our new cluster (with MPICH2) the program crashes with segmentation faults either on the first MPI_Send/Recv or at the end (MPI_Finalize).  If you run it several times in a row, it seems to be random which of the two occurs.  I have checked carefully that the space for the passed data has been allocated.

I would greatly appreciate if someone with more MPI experience could have a look at the source code and give me his/her opinion.

Best,

Christian