[MPICH] MPICH2 doesn´t distribute jobs when running applications

Christian M. Probst cmacprobst at gmail.com
Sat May 12 23:50:01 CDT 2007

Hi, folks.

I am running MPICH2 in two servers with 8 cores each one... I have
configured both servers properly and passed all troubleshooting steps
provided in the installation guide.

But when I try to run my applications of interest (both bioinformatics,
mpiClustal and mpiHMMer), the following scenario appears:

If I run just in one server, the job is distributed sucessfully for the 8
cores...

If I run using both server in my machine file, but using -np 8, all jobs are
distributed to one server, and I have the same time of the previous running
(Ok, expected)... But no job is distributed for the second machine...

If I run using both server in my machine file, with any -np from 9 to 16,
all processes are distributed to just one server (mpdtrace -l appears with
several 0 in the beginning of the line) and I have no results after hours
waiting...

As I said before, if I run the tests, it distributes properly for both
servers, no matter what was set with -np.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance.
Christian