[MPICH] Using -mpilog does not produce any log

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Tue Mar 27 07:58:11 CDT 2007

On Monday 26 March 2007 6:06:43 pm Anthony Chan wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Reuben Budiardja wrote:
> > > Try doing a grep on the executable for any MPE_Log, i.e.
> > >
> > > nm <executable_name> | grep -i MPE_Log
> > >
> > > A.Chan
> >
> > The above command doesn't produce any output. So it seems that my code
> > is still not linked against the logging library. I've also tried putting
> > in this directly on the linker: "-lfmpich -llmpe -lmpe" and got the same
> > result. I've also tried compiling mpich2-1.0.5p3 and used "mpif90
> > -mpe=mpilog" as my compiler / linker and still  got the same result. Any
> > idea why this is the case  ?
>
> Could it be possible that you are still not putting -mpe=mpilog in the
> link command of your Makefile ?  A common mistake is that people put
> "-mpe=mpilog" in FFLAGS but FFLAGS is not used in the link step.

I found out that apparently one of the library I used (ie. PETSc) insert the
flag "-lmpich -lmpichf90" into linking line, and it seems that this caused
the program to not link correctly against the MPE library for logging. Taking
out those flag and use -mpilog (for mpich-1.2.7) or "-mpi=mpilog" (for
mpich2) gave me the log file after running the program.

Thanks for your help in troubleshooting.

RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja
Dept. Physics and Astronomy