[MPICH] MPICH2 performance tuning and characterising

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at aplpi.com
Wed Mar 21 09:38:06 CDT 2007

Hi,

Anthony Chan wrote:

> It seems everything is OK with your installation of MPICH2+MPE.
> Another way to check if MPE logging is linked in is to do a grep on
> the executable, "nm <your_executable> | grep -i MPE_Log".  If you
> see a bunch of MPE_Log symbols listed, MPE logging library is linked
> in.
>
> Does your app use MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE support ?

I don't have access to the system today but I got someone onsite to do
those checks and they replied with the following

"the nm command gave nothing back - symbol doesn't exist, and the
MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE text string does not appear in the ROMS source code
tree - don't think it is multi threading."

I'm confused as to why the log symbols don't exist - the compiler is
clearly using the mpe=mpilog flag when running - perhaps it's missing
from the linker step or I'm missing something else?

As an aside - are there tools for measuring MPICH2 latency and bandwidth?

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, Applepie Solutions Ltd, Innovation in Business Center,
   GMIT, Dublin Rd, Galway, Ireland.      http://www.aplpi.com