[MPICH] MPICH2 performance tuning and characterising

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at aplpi.com
Fri Mar 16 06:09:02 CDT 2007

stephen mulcahy wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> Anthony Chan wrote:
>> If you have any question on MPE2/SLOG2/Jumpshot, you can always ask us.
>
> I guess I've read the docs on MPE that I could find and I'm still not
> clear what information it will give me and whether it's what I'm looking
> for. I guess to best way to is to go ahead and try it.
>
> It is also a little unclear as to how to build in "mpe support" - or
> whether it is included by default.
>
> I've just rebuilt mpich2 1.0.5p3 with
>
> configure --enable-mpe --with-mpe
>
> Will that do the trick or is that unneccesary?

I've built and installed mpich2 1.0.5p3 with those options enabled and

find /usr/local -name *mpe*

gives me the following

/usr/local/share/examples_logging/mpe2tmp.f
/usr/local/bin/mpecc.in
/usr/local/bin/mpefc.in
/usr/local/lib/liblmpe.a
/usr/local/lib/libmpe.a
/usr/local/lib/libmpe_collchk.a
/usr/local/lib/libmpe_f2cmpi.a
/usr/local/lib/libmpe_nompi.a
/usr/local/lib/libmpe_nompi_null.a
/usr/local/lib/libmpe_null.a
/usr/local/lib/libtmpe.a
/usr/local/lib/mpe_prof.o
/usr/local/include/mpe_thread.h
/usr/local/include/mpe_graphics.h
/usr/local/include/mpe.h
/usr/local/include/mpe_logf.h
/usr/local/include/mpe_log.h
/usr/local/include/mpe_misc.h
/usr/local/sbin/mpeuninstall
/usr/local/sbin/mpecheckinstall
/usr/local/sbin/mpetestlink
/usr/local/sbin/mpetestexec
/usr/local/sbin/mpetestexeclog
/usr/local/etc/mpe_f77env.conf
/usr/local/etc/mpe_f77env.conf.in
/usr/local/etc/mpe_help.conf
/usr/local/etc/mpe_help.conf.in
/usr/local/etc/mpe_log.conf
/usr/local/etc/mpe_mpicheck.conf
/usr/local/etc/mpe_mpilog.conf
/usr/local/etc/mpe_mpitrace.conf
/usr/local/etc/mpe_nolog.conf

So I guess it's installed ok.

>> To verify if the code is fairly optimized, you could enable MPE logging
>> on your app and see if the logfile makes sense to you.  If you are using
>> mpich2-1.0.5, you can relink your code with "mpif90 -mpe=mpilog", it will
>> generate a clog2 file which can be "viewed" by jumpshot (which will
>> convert it to the native format, slog2).  If your slog2 file is small
>> enough, you could send it to us when you have questons (We always like to
>> look at logfile, :))

So I've rebuilt our app with

mpif90 -mpe=mpilog

and restarted it but I can't see any additional log-files generated in
/tmp or in the directory from which the app was restarted.

Is there some additional step required or do I also need to add logging
code to our app before I can see any log-files?

Thanks again,

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, Applepie Solutions Ltd, Innovation in Business Center,
    GMIT, Dublin Rd, Galway, Ireland.      http://www.aplpi.com