[MPICH] MPICH2 performance tuning and characterising

stephen mulcahy smulcahy at aplpi.com
Thu Mar 15 10:16:24 CDT 2007

Hi,

We're currently using MPICH2 (compiled with pgi) on a 20 node cluster of
dual core opterons connected with a gigabit network to run an
Oceanographic numerical model (http://www.myroms.org/). I've been
reading the archives of this list and the all the documentation on the
MPICH2 website but I haven't come across a lot of concrete performnce
tuning information. I did come across the MPE/SLOG/Jumpshot
documentation but I'm still not sure I know enough to use the
information that provides :)

We're currently using ch3:sock but wondering if we should look at
ch3:ssm, ch3:nemesis or ch3: sctp (the 1.0.5 notes suggest that sctp on
Linux still has issues). What kind of performance increases should I
expecting from these - percents or fractions of percents? Also, what
kind of performance improvement on a cluster should --enable-fast bring?)

Are there other things I can do to tune the operation of MPICH2 at the
OS level? I'm not a Fortran programmer and we're using a 3rd party model
so I'm not sure how much customisation is feasible (I'm assuming the
developers of the model have done a certain amount of tuning of the
basic model ... but any suggestions on how to verify this are also
welcome). Is the speed at which MPI operates largely dependent on the
interconnect latency or are there other factors involved?

MPI message sizes are estimated to be about 40k and 200k, does the size
of the MPI message influence behaviour significantly? Do different sized
messages have better affinity to different kinds of interconnect?

What have peoples experiences been in moving from Gigabit to Infiniband?
Should one always realise significant performance benefits or does it
depend on the load. What kind of MPI loads lend themselves to faster
interconnects? How can I see if our MPI load has those characteristics?

I've sent a similar query to the beowulf mailing list, apologies if
you're on both :)

Thanks,

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, Applepie Solutions Ltd, Innovation in Business Center,
    GMIT, Dublin Rd, Galway, Ireland.      http://www.aplpi.com