[MPICH] Problem swith ROMIO and mpi-tile-io

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at charter.net
Sat Jul 14 10:48:44 CDT 2007

Hello,

I apologize for sending this question to the MPICH list
but I can't seem to subscribe to the ROMIO list. I also
know some of the ROMIO developers read this list so
I thought I would take a chance.

I'm trying to run mpi-tile-io which I think was written at
Argonne on a 32 node, dual-socket, dual-core Woodcrest
using GigE. The MPI is the SCORE MPI which uses ROMIO
for MPI-IO functionality.

When I run mpi-tile-io I get the following errors:

failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 1 ret = 8288
failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 8 ret = 8288
failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 11 ret = 8288
failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 10 ret = 8288
failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 4 ret = 8288
failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 14 ret = 8288
failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 13 ret = 8288
failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 7 ret = 8288
failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 6 ret = 8288
failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 15 ret = 8288
failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 12 ret = 8288
failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 5 ret = 8288
failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 3 ret = 8288
failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 0 ret = 8288
failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 2 ret = 8288
failed during MPI_File_(read or write)
myrank: 9 ret = 8288

(Note - I was only running on 16 cores). I modified the source for
mpi-til-io to print the return value of the call to MPI_File_write.
I've looked around for error 8288 and I can't seem to find anything
(Kent Milfield did see this error on PVFS2 a white ago).

I'm running on a Panasas file system (PanFS) using gcc
(gcc version 4.1.0 (SUSE Linux)). When I run, I use the following
command:

mpi-tile-io --nr_tiles_x 4 --nr_tiles_y 4 \
            --sz_tile_x 1024 --sz_tile_y 1024 \
            --sz_element 512 \
            --write_file --filename /panfs/panasas.dl.ac.uk/panas/cwfile
 >> OUTPUT

BTW - I didn't know about the --write_file option until someone told
me. It's not in the README.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jeff