[MPICH] slow IOR when using fileview

Yu, Weikuan wyu at ornl.gov
Mon Jul 2 13:51:11 CDT 2007

Hi, Wei-keng,

The problem apprears to lie with the costly system call over Cray XT. In
this case, it is fcntl(). While fcntl() has been avoided for file
systems like PVFS/PVFS2, and its cost is also negligible on a
linux-based lustre file system, it does seem to be costly on Cray XT. In
addtion, given the fact that the MPI-IO source code for Cray XT lies
with Cray, we need to work with Cray to get a possible fix to this as
soon as we can. In the mean time, you may try to avoid the use of
write_all or explore some other alternative.

Thanks again for your report,
--Weikuan