[MPICH] ROMIO practice doubts

Luiz Mendes luizmendesw at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 08:03:42 CST 2007

Hi all,
Thanks Rob,

I have been reading MPI 2 book, and other materials, and i still be in doubt
with some concepts.

There are some doubt topics that i havent learn yet.

These hints, they are effective only in non-contiguos situations, is it
right?
romio_pvfs_listio_write and read for example, they would be effective in non
contiguous situations?

ROMIO excuses the necessity of build list_io_read function, when we use
these above hints?

And talking about Non-contiguous access, i understood it as a heterogeneous
thing. For example, in a data, we have the first 3 blocks of one type, and
the next block is a different thing with 2 blocks for example. Is it right?

Contiguity refers to belong to a same element?

When i define an MPI_Vector for example, i set non null strides. These blank
spaces, they could be used for other elements?

I am trying to make a simple benchmark to measure bandwith, but i didnt get
it works yet.

Non contiguouos datatypes are only these ones that have strides? if i make a
datatype that consists of a "entire line row" in each block, it could be
considered a non contiguos thing? The hints would do any influency over it?

In MPICH2, i create a mpd.hosts file, but i am not getting it works,
mpdtrace doesnt tell anything about the slave node. What should  i do?

Thanks in advance, luiz.