[MPICH] MPI IO doubts

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 18 11:06:29 CST 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 09:54:10AM -0400, Luiz Mendes wrote:

> Inside item 3.9.1, the text says that MPI does not specifies how an
> implementation should physically create files. Then it could be a
> linear sequence of bytes. And after says that a file could be create
> as a single file or stripped trough local disks.
>
> The first doubt is, in NFS divide a MPI File between disks wouldnt
> be possible?

With NFS, you will have multiple (parallel) clients talking to a
single server.  The NFS server could be serving files that are, for
example, hosted on a RAID volume.  It sounds like you are asking about
something along the lines of PVFS.

> The second doubt, Files created in MPI way could be operate by systems file
> commands ok? but to see informations inside this file we have to use mpi
> program, isnt it?

While it's possible to create a file only readable by an MPI program,
there are lots of examples of MPI programs creating files that are
read by other tools.  Parallel-NetCDF and HDF5, for example, both use
MPI-IO to create files, but also have a wealth of serial (non-mpi)
tools to look at the data.  This type of file is called
"self-describing", and can be very appealing if you have to exchange
data with collaborators.

==rob

--
Rob Latham