[MPICH] Asking about some details of mpi in a cluster?

Rajeev Thakur thakur at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 31 01:00:39 CST 2007

TCP.

> 2.I guess when a mpi programm is run by "mpirun -np
> process-number mpiprogramme",the mpiprogramme is sent to
> other computers to run.
> Is this right?

No. The executable file must be accessible from that machine either via a
shared file system or copied by the user onto the local file system.

> 3.What does mpi_init do?

Initializes internal data structures of MPICH.

> 4.When using mpi_comm_size,how to get the size?I guess there
> are two ways:
> the first is getting from "mpirun -np process-numbler
> mpiprogramme";the second is after judging all the computers
> in the file "hostlist" is alive or not.  Which is right?
> 4.And when using mpi_comm_rank,how to get the rank of every computer?

Both comm_size and comm_rank are obtained from the process manager via the
PMI (process manager interface) in MPICH.

Rajeev