[MPICH] Problem when enabling ADIOI_MPE_LOGGING

William Gropp gropp at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Dec 1 02:40:46 CST 2007

This is a reminder that we need to develop a more formal and
consistent approach to managing the dependencies between the modules
so that this work around is not necessary.  For example, we could
have each module (including things like the ADI choices) define their
dependencies (which may also involve some evaluation of the
environment or other options), and then create the build order.
Modules that export interfaces that must be created will need to be
able to do that without assuming a build order other than that
defined by its dependencies.  This would also help tighten up the
module imports/exports.

Bill

On Dec 1, 2007, at 12:11 AM, Anthony Chan wrote:

> Just to be clear, ADIOI_MPE_LOGGING only enables client side logging.
> Also I would think that a typical MPICH2 build with
> ADIOI_MPE_LOGGING enabled will cause compilation error (so not sure
> what you did).
>
> In order to get ADIOI_MPE_LOGGING to work correctly, you need to build
> mpich2 *TWICE* with second build dependent on the first one.  The
> main reason is that MPICH2 builds MPE after ROMIO/ADIO.  In order
> words, ADIOI_MPE_LOGGING can't be enabled without a valid set of
> MPE logging header files. So here are the steps that I would do,

William Gropp
Paul and Cynthia Saylor Professor of Computer Science
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign