[MPICH] Behavour if MPI_File_Open fails on some nodes

James S Perrin james.s.perrin at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Aug 21 04:52:12 CDT 2007

Robert Latham wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 02:57:55PM +0100, James S Perrin wrote:
>> Case 2 would be fine, however MPI_File_Open (rank 0) is not
>> returning at all in the situation I've described.
>
> That's odd.  I ran your test program, creating a file on one processor
> that did not exist on others, and got the expcected behavior
> (MPI_File_open returns an error on all processes. no process hangs).
> Wonder what's different about our environments?

Sorry to be pendantic but did you use a leading dir path that didn't
exist on the other processors. I get the correct behaviour if the dir
paths exist on all processors but the files don't.

Regards
James
James S. Perrin,                  | email: james.perrin at manchester.ac.uk
Research Computing Services,      | web:   www.mc.manchester.ac.uk
Kilburn Building, The University, | tel:   +44 161 275 6945
Manchester, England. M13 9PL.     | fax:   +44 161 275 0637